Thursday 13 July 2017

Spell your name - Drawstring bags with appliqued letters for kids

It's full Summer but around me, people who have kids have started preparing them to go back to kindergarten. Slowly but surely.

One of my friends asked me to make her two drawstring bags for her nephew who will go for the first time to the kindergarten. The only expressed wishes were to write his name: Toma, and the bag's dimension: 13" x 17" (33 cm x 43 cm).

Because the name was short, it gave me the opportunity to create a little visual story with more chances to be loved by the little boy. Instead of just laying down the letters over the bag background I created the designs of two toys (that are near the boys hearts from generations): a van and a truck and made them carrying the name.
I have made a few layouts offering to my friend different color combinations to choose from.
These are her choices.

 My Pickup Truck - unlined drawstring bag

  



My Truck - lined drawstring bag 


with two big interior pockets


and one exterior zippered pocket



I like so much this striped zipper that I stitched it on top of the pocket opening. It integrates so well into the design of the bag!

The cars and letters are raw edge applique. For securing the edges I used zig zag stitch and blanket stitch.


I thought the shapes of the two cars so that their pieces to be easy to cut and assemble.

And the same way I thought the design of the letters.
I tried to give it a simple and playful layout because I needed an alphabet set I can use in as many projects as possible, not only in this particular one.



I think that the pillows, quilts, home decorations, pouches, bags, T-shirts, gift wraps, even wall art, including names, monograms, words and popular phrases, have a special, personal, modern look that stands out in the most pleasant way.

If you plan some projects needing some capital letters, maybe the template I used for this drawstring bags will help you too.


The Alphabet Capital Letters Template is here.
For these drawstring bags, I used the 2" reversed templates of the letters.

Enjoy your work!

Have a beautiful day, my dears!

I'm linking to Finish it up Friday!
                       Finished or Not Friday



1 comment:

  1. Ce saculeti frumosi! O idee excelenta cu masinile aplicate si cu numele pus acolo, de-as avea si eu un nepotel...
    Imi plac literele, cred ca se decupeaza si se cos usor!

    ReplyDelete